Monday, November 17, 2008

4 Score and Seven Years Ago...

A little cheesy, but I couldn't resist.
Absolutely amazing- incredibly touching- very moving- are just a few phrases uttered during our tour of Gettysburg. I was very surprised at the enormous area on which the Battle took place. I was not expecting such a massive area. I don't know how much of the land that we covered and saw on our tour, but I do know that Gettysburg park covers 5,733 acres.
We purchased an audio CD that was dramatized. We were able to go along at our own pace, this includes getting lost a few times, enjoy the air conditioning of the van and relax while seeing an incredible piece of America's history. It can't get much better than that, well except for the lost part.
The CD was a great purchase- I thought it was a little costly at $21 but then I am pretty frugal, i.e. cheap. The CD guided us along the roads and gave us the history of the battle. There were many moments where I was lost in thought and pictured the soldiers fighting for their beliefs and their lives. It was one of the most moving moments of my life. I could envision the young and old, poor and rich, illiterate and well educated, who believed so strongly in their cause that they were willing to fight brother against brother, father against son and friend against friend. To imagine the intensity of their courage was so moving and heart wrenching, there were many times I found myself tearing up.
We were able to see lots of cannons that are on the property still. I believe (although I could be wrong), that these are still used in reenactments. There were also various buildings around the grounds that are from the time of the battle. It was so amazing being there, including visiting the cemetery where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address. I can't say enough about Gettysburg and our experience there. It was something I will never forget and I hope my children won't either.
We ended our Gettysburg experience in a perfect way- we rented the dvd Gettysburg. We all watched the movie and were able to get a better grasp of what it was that happened and where. Also we were able to see some of the well-known people really come to life on the screen. It was really quite a feeling to see the same rocks and fields that we were walking on and learning about the day before. Most of the scenes were actually filmed at the real battlefield. The whole experience was incredible and we suggest that everyone go there at some point if they can. Watching the movie first might be better but isn't necessary, just going is worth it.

No comments: