Saturday, August 9, 2008

A little late, but finally coming along

Well, I don't really know what to say except sand slipped through the hourglass a little quicker than we thought possible. Time really seemed to be moving in fast forward for a while. We made it to Indiana later and more exhausted than I thought was possible. I will try to give a quick run-through the last week of our lives (but anyone who knows me, knows I can ramble on about nothing).
We left Wisconsin around 1 am on Friday morning. We were all absolutely running on empty with nothing left in our tanks, not even fumes. We were so exhausted that we left things that we supposed to bring, things as replaceable as a hatchet and things as expensive as our digital camera and video camera. When were so out of it and just weren't thinking clearly. We made it to Milwaukee and planned on staying at the La Quinta. We have stayed in that one before and knew exactly where it was. Well, they were completely booked. I had a bad feeling when the parking lot had no places to park. :-( We drove on to Gurnee, IL, planning to find a La Quinta there. We pull in to the La Quinta around 4 something in the morning. Randy runs in to find out if they have rooms and how much- yes they have rooms and they run 160 a night. Can you believe it? I was totally shocked that a La Quinta could cost so much. The guy said he would cut us a deal and only charge us 140 since we were going to be there for only a few hours. If we didn't stink and need showers, I would have tried to convince Randy that we could just sleep in the van until Six Flags opens. We wake-up the next morning, haha, we wake-up a few hours later to get ready to go to Six Flags. We managed to miss the free breakfast, something I wasn't planning on. We manage to make it to Six Flags about an hour after they opened but the kids could barely contain their excitement. We dropped the dogs off at the kennel that they have (which was perfect) and went in, ready for some roller-coaster-stomach-lurching fun. We had a blast but were totally exhausted from the work that we had been doing the days before, and the lack of sleep we were functioning on, so we left around 8. I turn on our TomTom, get it set like Randy says, and off we go, headed to Horseshoe Lakes Preserve in Indiana, or so we think. We drive and drive and drive so more. I dose off here and there, trying to stay awake to make sure Randy doesn't dose off, but sleep wins a few times too many. I slept through our drive through Indianapolis. I knew we weren't supposed to be anywhere near Indianapolis but Randy didn't. He is just going where Mr. TomTom is telling him to go. When I start seeing signs for Cincinnati, I get curious. Randy thinks there must be a Cincinnati, IN. We eventually cross over into Ohio and I knew something was way off- we were supposed to just barely cross the Indiana border from Illinois. I call my dad, he helps, while turning his perfectly cooked bacon (My dad really does know how to cook a perfect breakfast. He is the one who taught me how to cook breakfast and make perfect bacon). He helped confirm what I was thinking, we are way off the mark of our destination. We drive around a town in Ohio looking for free wifi so we can get the actual gps coordinates. We manage to get the right ones found and entered into trusty ol' TomTom and discover that we still have over 3 hours of driving ahead of us. We manage to get to Thousand Trails around 11 am, so full of excitement and energy, mmmmm, not really. We were excited to finally be here, but all we wanted to do was sleep and eat and sleep some more. We check in, drive around, find a campsite and start to get set up. This is our first real set-up since we didn't get everything finished in time for a few shake-down runs. We are just about done when we discover that we don't have a regular rv plug, which is what this electric box needs. Randy is ready to give up, he is covered in sweat, hungry, thirsty, sleep-deprived and absolutely worn-out. We sort of pack up, put kids on bikes and head off in search of an outlet that fits what we need. We finally find one and slowly get our first campsite officially set up. Man does it feel good to finally be here and finished with our set-up. We encountered so many various obstacles that we are ready to relax and rejuvenate, although kids ideas of relaxation and parents are often two different things. The kids wanted to swim, swim, swim, swim..... and Randy and I wanted to sleep, sit, sleep, sit .... We found a compromise and it worked well. We are leaving here on Monday, or at least that is the plan at the moment and the way things have been going, they can change on a whim. I have a few more stories to share, some are funny, some were trying but not only have a wrote a book, we made it back to the campsite and work is waiting on me. I'll share the rest later. Thanks for all the prayers, thoughts, gifts and well-wishes, we are most, most appreciative.

5 comments:

Nandi said...

Wow! You guys are doing it! So exciting! Congratulations for making it this far... I can't wait to read more of your awesome adventures! You're a great writer. I feel like I'm right there with you! :)
Prayers for you, your family, and your travels,
Nandi

Stacy and David said...

Find I-35 & Head South! You are amazing! I can hardly wait to see you all. ;-)

sp

Leroy said...

We want pics!!

Leroy said...

We still want pics. You have a new camra, lets show it off.

7 On the Road said...

I am so glad somebody has been reading our blog. I didn't know anyone had found it.
Hello Nandi- I hope you are doing well. We appreciate your kind words!! Thank you for the comment!
Hi StacyP- We miss you guys- can't wait to see you. I'll have to look on the Atlas for I-35 and see if I can find it. ;-D
Leroy- Hello there. It took some time to figure out who you were. Haha- funny guy. Have you ever heard that patience is a virtue? They should be up soon, now that our internet is moving.