Friday, August 15, 2008

A few experiences we've had so far..... UPdated

I said that I would share a few more things that happened to us on our first week "traveling"-
Many campgrounds have various hikes you can go on throughout the parks. I remember going on some as a kid. When I envisioned some of what we would do, hikes were on the list. We had gone on a trail before- the kids on bikes while I jogged. We had experience with the trails at this park so I was sure we could handle a longer one. We set off on a trail with the dogs, we as in me, the girls and Lance. Randy and Landon stayed back at the campsite. We were heading on a trail and then we ran out of, well, trail. There is no trail left, just tall overgrown brush. We then head in a different direction, not sure where we are heading. We end up in woods and are walking a path that hasn't been used in a long time. The kids full of youthful adventure and excitement want to push forward. I am thinking we should turn back since I am not even sure we are on Thousand Trails property any more. We climb over a large fallen tree and deeper into the woods. I was remembering all of the scary movies I watched as a kid that I shouldn't have- too many scenes that don't end well. We walk on and on and on. Finally we come to a clearing and I see something that looks familiar. We are on a trail in Thousand Trails, all-be-it and old unused one, but at least we were on the property the whole time. There was a running joke at our old church, www.frontlinecc.org about FoxNews Alerts. Before we left our pastor and friend joked and said he would be watching the alerts on Fox News to see what happened to us- that kept ringing through my head. The kids and I are going to be the next alert Fox News sends out. Of course everything in the end worked out, we went on a grand adventure, the kids had fun, got some fresh air and exercise all while mom looked cool and collected on the outside.
The next story is one I will remember forever- one that had a great ending (compared to what we thought it was) and will make a great story to share with Landon's friends, wife and his kids.
Where we were camped at in Horseshoe Lakes was very nice and quite ideal. We were near the bathhouse, near the lake, in a circle drive area that the kids could ride their bikes on, and with plenty of trees for shade. We had gotten back from a trip to a nearby town where we had stopped and bought green tomatoes and watermelon. I grew up eating fried green tomatoes and thought that sounded like a wonderful addition to dinner. Randy gets the laptop and starts working, I wash the tomatoes and start slicing, and the kids get busy unloading the van and then start playing. After a few minutes we notice that Landon isn't there, we don't see Lance's bike (the boys are sharing it until we can find a bike for Landon) and no one knows where he is. I send Reianna one direction, Chloe another and I go down the trail, all of us on bikes. I am searching and calling his name, but no Landon. I head back the way I came since there are so many different paths to take and no way I can do all of it on my own. We head back and exit the trail. I see that the van isn't at the campsite and don't know what happened. A few minutes later I see Randy coming around a corner. He took off in the van looking for him and he sent Jazzlynn on foot to look for him. About this time Reianna and Chloe show up with no luck. I am starting to really get anxious. I was already scared, worried, frightened, etc. He hasn't taken off like this before and there are so many areas where if you are not careful and not able to stop, you will end up in the water. We were all thinking the worst at this time. It was such a terrible feeling, I was starting to panic. Randy asks if anyone checked inside the bathhouse and no one had. I go into the men's room and see his shorts and underwear on the floor. I didn't see his feet and became even more frightened. I opened the stall door and he wasn't there. I pretty much lost it at this point. I thought he had been abducted and we would never find him. I opened the next stall door. I wasn't expecting to find him, one since we have been calling his name and two, his clothes were in the other stall area. However, there he was, asleep on the toilet. Although, at the time I didn't know he was asleep. I ran outside to tell Randy that I found him but I didn't know if he was ok. I was just so happy I at least knew where he was. I ran back in and tried to wake him up. It took quite a few shakes to get him to wake up. He finally opened his eyes and looked at me. I was so happy he was ok. I was mad that he didn't let me know he needed to go to the bathroom, that he had just completely frightened the family but the feeling of happiness overtook everything else. I went outside so Randy could help him and started to cry. All of the feelings and emotions that I had felt started to come to the surface.
I think that is all I am going to share for now. I will hopefully get Randy to get some pictures up so everyone can see where we have been. I will try and post about our trip to Michigan and what it is like here. Take care everyone!
Here are a couple more that I didn't have time to post-
One morning we are doing our morning routines- I am making breakfast, pancakes that my dad taught me how to make, and everyone is getting ready for the day. While I am busy I notice a blue car driving in our circle staring at some new guests who arrived overnight. Sidenote- the people in campgrounds seem to be quite nosy. They stare at you while you drive by at the designated speed of 5mph and might or might not wave. I just thought they were being nosy and wanted to see who these people were that arrived after we went to bed. Well, they come back and drive by again. I am busy trying to make breakfast so I can't really see what is going on, but I do know that they have their eyes on the newcomers. A little bit later they come back, this time with a sheriff, the manager of the preserve and a few more campers. I have no clue what is going, what is being said or what happened but obviously something happened that wasn't quite right.
Before long I hear some words that I won't repeat and a door slams. Two people end up getting arrested and the rest of the family leaves. I don't know what happened, we didn't ask. I was curious what one would do at a TT in a few hours that could get you arrested but to be honest, it wasn't any of our business. What did happen though is that our children saw people get arrested for their first time (might have been mine too, I am not sure). At least it was a mostly civilized event as the arrestees went peacefully.
There is something else but every time I get the laptop in front of me my mind goes blank. Oh well, maybe I will remember again and make a note of it. But knowing me I will forget where I put the note.

No comments: